nafex - [NAFEX] Black currant information and sources

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black currant information and sources
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:24:03 -0500 (EST)

For Ohio residents, there is a list of black currant cultivars
approved by the State at
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3205.html

Some information from New Hampshire
http://ceinfo.unh.edu/agriculture/currants.pdf

Some good information including some of the older cultivars recommended
for fresh eating, white pine blister rust resistance, and sources:
<http://www.rain.org/greennet/docs/exoticveggies/html/europeanblackcurrant.htm>
and if you go to
http://www.rain.org/greennet
click on "garden resources"
then click on "exotic vegetables" you will find a page on
red and white currants
and you will pass a lot of interesting links on the way.

The author of this page seems to be very well informed, on currant
quality and disease resistance among other things; I recommend it:
http://www.landsteward.com/page.cfm/8886

Whitman Farms has a very complete list of currants and gooseberries
including Coronet and Crusader:
http://whitmanfarms.com

St. Lawrence Nurseries lists several black currants including Consort
and Ben Sarek but not Coronet and Crusader:
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us

Finally, the tactic I used of doing a google seach on
the combination of
black currant coronet crusader
seemed a happy one. These cultivars seem to act as a
good selector of useful pages. I think there is a lesson here.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario