nafex - [NAFEX] Burr Knots

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Burr Knots
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 06:39:57 -0500

I recently planted a small orchard of dwarf apple trees. In order to limit both vole and borer damage I made little screen skirts with foam collars for the trees, as I have seen described in a couple of locations. My question is, with M9 rootstock being highly susceptible to burr knots as it is, am I asking for trouble by having the foam in contact with the tree essentially year round? The foam seems to dry out but it will still always be dark underneath it. These collars are approximately 18" off the ground, so they are not grabbing the rootstock but rather the scion. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Jason MacArthur
'Marlboro Vt.
Zone 4/5