nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Burr Knots

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Burr Knots
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:38:21 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2004 10:39:12 AM US Eastern Standard Time, tanistanis@hotmail.com writes:

I haven't worked with M9, sorry, but I believe modified tissue growths occur
when the area on the plant is kept both dark and moist.

My meager experience agrees with the above. Yesterday I removed a protective fence from around an M-9 rootstock where grass had grown up about 3 feet around it. This ungrafted RS had been repeatedly attacked by damned deer, so fenced it but didn't remove the grass as it grew up within the fence. Upon removing to prune it I discovered it was full of burrknot. I guess the thing to do is cut off the affected sections and plant the knotted sections for RS material. Except Bud 9 is a better RS. M9 has little resistance to Fireblight.  Past experience to trim out burrknot hasn't been very successful. Seems when the burrknots (really early root development) develop it interrupts the cambium and doesn't seem to heal like other wounds.

My 2 cents worth, right or wrong.

Jerry