nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Quince

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Quince
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:21:37 -0500 (EST)

> Actually, some quinces are, or can be, edible raw. They have an aromatic
> flavor that I like very much and have been looking for a type that was fully
> edible raw for years. Smyrna is about the closest thing to it in a
> commercially available quince. When fully ripe and allowed to "mellow" for
> a couple of weeks, it's about like a solid, somewhat acid apple. I've been
> testing some other varieties and have found a few that are a little more
> tender, but they ripen on the late side for me, such that I think they need
> a hotter climate to get the acid down more. I'm in contact with people who
> claim to have a truly edible quince and am due to get some this year.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com
> Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for
> 2003

Well Lon, what about letting us in on your quince-experiences? I for one am
interested and have been trying all I can find, even though here in
Northern Vermont I am a bit unlikely ever to get one fully ripe. My Smyrna
died (anyone care to send me a cutting?) but an Aromatnaya that I bought
from Raintree is struggling on after three winters. I recently bought a few
more FSU types from `One Green World' and will see if they survive this,
rather harsh, winter. [Sunny and above freezing now though.]

Richard Melrose

  • [NAFEX] Re: Quince, rmelrose, 03/07/2004