nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 07:14:26 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Quince
Actually, some quinces are, or can be, edible raw.  They have an aromatic flavor that I like very much and have been looking for a type that was fully edible raw for years.  Smyrna is about the closest thing to it in a commercially available quince.  When fully ripe and allowed to "mellow" for a couple of weeks, it's about like a solid, somewhat acid apple.  I've been testing some other varieties and have found a few that are a little more tender, but they ripen on the late side for me, such that I think they need a hotter climate to get the acid down more.  I'm in contact with people who claim to have a truly edible quince and am due to get some this year.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

Look at the quince...  From everything I have ever read, it is a wonderful cooked fruit, with many uses, but cannot be consumed raw.

I have never found one in any market in my travels.  A member of NAFEX supplied me with seeds, I got the seedling off to a good start, and another NAFEX'r (with a lot more land) is growing them out.

Hook or by crook, I will taste a quince.