nafex - [NAFEX] Mycorrhizal fungi and fungicides

  • From: "Michael Phillips" <michael@herbsandapples.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mycorrhizal fungi and fungicides
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:21:21 -0500

Lon and everyone,

All the pluses that flow from biological symbiosis are incredibly well-summed up in the article that Lon posted. Thanks, guy! I’ve long been advocating that people find healthy wild trees and take a few spadefuls of inoculated soil to their fruit orchards and/or compost piles if woody in nature.

But all this begs one big question: How much do we undo of these mycorrhizal benefits when we use fungicides in the orchard and vineyard? I don’t know that it matters here if we’re talking captan or sulfur, though maybe there are some gentle fungicides someone wants to point out. Is there a balance point between the two where a minimal fungicide program does not break the mycorrhizal chain?

Michael Phillips

Lost Nation Orchard

Heartsong Farm Healing Herbs

RFD 1 Box 275

Groveton, NH 03582

www.HerbsAndApples.com

"The water will never clear up 'til you get the hogs out of the creek."

            -Jim Hightower on today's politics