nafex - [NAFEX] pickled apples

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sam739is@hotmail.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pickled apples
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 06:11:10 -0800 (PST)

After reading the reading the "Apples in Sauerkraut"
recipe in the last Pomona, and receiving question
about the one I tried in the last tread, I thought I
would post the recipe for all to see.

I used it with some old apples from the store which
were getting past their prime. My results were not the
best. I sliced the apples because I didn't have a huge
jug. The apples were soggy and a little blander than
expected; but still quite good enough for me to try it
again next time. Using fresh quality strong flavored
apples I am sure that the taste and especially the
texture would improve.

The recipe is from "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda
Ziedrich.

Pickled Apples

"Another Russian Specialty, brined apples retain their
crispness but acquire a flavor like that of sparkling
wine."

3 quarts water
1/4 honey
8 teaspoons pickling salt
2 or 3 handfulls of sour cherry leaves
4 to 6 sprigs of tarragon
3 pounds of small tart apples, such as Graventeins

In a non reactive pot, bring to a boil water, honey,
and salt, stirring to dissolve the salt. Let the brine
cool.

Spread some cherry leaves and 1 or 2 tarragon sprigs
on the bottom of a 1-gallon jar, Add a layer of apples
on their sides. ; 3 should just fit. Layer more
leaves, tarragon, and apples, and then repeat for a
third layer. top with the rest of the leaves and
tarragon. Pour enough brine over the apples to cover
them well. Push a freezerbag into the mouth of the
jar and pour the remaining brine in to the bag. Seal
the bag. Let stand at room temperature for 5 or 6
days, until fermentation slows.

Remove the brine bag, cap the lid tightly and set in a
dark place where the tempreature dosent rise above 50
degrees( I have used a fridge with good results.) Let
the jar stand for 30 to 40 days befre eating the
apples.

After you opens the jar, the apples with keep for at
least a week in the fridge.

I found the flavor to be very unique. I didn't know
exactly what to use them for. It was not something I
would eat a great deal of on their own. After a while
I did discover they were perfect for light sandwiches.
Where pickles or sauerkraut was to strong a flavor.
They wend very well with mild flavored cheese as well.

Let me know what you think.

Robert