nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Flavor of Black Currants

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Flavor of Black Currants
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:32:08 -0500

Ed Forest wrote:

> <snip>The traditional strong cat pee flavor (or more precisely aroma) and
> its
> nutritional/medicinal value may be linked <snip>

Hi,

Not sure what black currants you have experienced, but none of mine come
anywhere near that description.

I find the smell of black currants to be very good, almost invigorating. It
was the aroma of black currant tea
(widely available everywhere in regular supermarkets) that brought my
attention to black currants. It seems
unreasonable for a single box of black currant tea to ever make it to the
store shelf if it tasted or smelled or
cat urine.

Taste and smell are subjective.

I work with a woman who thinks that pineapple, green pepper, and green peas
are horrid to smell or eat. She
claims the mere smell of them turns her stomach. Upon questioning she has
never even tried a green pea that did
not come from a can. Not sure you could even compare a canned pea and a
fresh pea.

Last week I bought a bottle of Ribena black currant syrup and it is very good
with gingerale, or just plain
water. There is a market for black currants and people enjoy the flavor and
the smell.

During the summer, I will often pick a leaf and roll it between my fingers to
enjoy the aroma.

But again, taste and smell are subjective.

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio