nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit writing

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit writing
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:26:10 -0500

Thanks to those of you who alert us to fruit articles in local/regional
press. I'm glad to read these and please keep them coming.
Tom noted that Lee Reich led with a poor quote to intro black currants. As
Lon noted, brief articles for general audiences need a catchy lead
('mislead'?) to get past editors, and can be oversimplified. Reich writes
elsewhere on several ways to prune Ribes, and gave the simplest for a
general audience. I'm reminded of pawpaw articles on Jerry McLaughlin that
lead with "the first time he ate one, he threw up". What a way to encourage
pawpaw production and sales!!
I must credit Lee Reich for his fine book "Uncommon Fruits Worthy of
Attention". Newly updated and expanded edition due out later this spring,
Timber Press, entitled "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden", ISBN 088192623X.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn; Cornus mas blooming!

---