nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Choke Cherries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Choke Cherries
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:09:50 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Choke Cherries
I've made pickles for years with that method.  You don't need a lot of the leaves, though, so I would imagine any toxic level would be very low.  The recipe I use calls for one or two leaves per quart.  Also, it seems likely that the fermentation process, in brine, might break the cyanide down and render most of it safe.
-Lon Rombough

My partner is Romanian & this is standard ie a very old component of
their pickling recipes..