nafex - RE: [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: <griffingardens@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:48:33 -0600

I think that unpolluted P. americana stands do still exist. A case in point
is western Kansas, where no plums are grown commercially and only a very few
are grown by homeowners. These stands are often very far apart and very
isolated, particularly if one gets into sections where grazing lands
predominate, towns and cities are few, and farmsteads are few and far
between. Of course, there is the prospect that there could be hybridization
with sandhill plums. -- Sam Brungardt,