nafex - Re: [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:03:38 -0500

It's been interesting to read the wildly varied reports on P. americana. I
suspect they are all correct.

I have grafted many hybrids onto P.americana. I have seen it sucker
profusely and I have also seen it not sucker at all. If I were to guess,
I'd say that some P.americana seedlings (or maybe populations) have that
tendency and others do not. In an effort to increase the chance of
successful pollination, I often simply graft some of the root suckers with
other varieties. The suckers I don't want, I cut to the ground.

I have not had Jim's experience of the graft strangling the rootstock and
some of my hybrids are now 20+ years old. I also have no experience
grafting P. domestica onto P.americana so I can't help there. I have mostly
used P.cerasifera (Myrobolan) as a P.domestica rootstock. With good luck.

I have also planted root sprouts of various self-rooted P.domestica
cultivars. Most have suckered profusely when planted on their own roots.
P.americana is not the only culprit there.

I think Robert Scott's project could be very interesting. If you do
proceed, I would suggest giving a lot of attention to where the P.americana
comes from. I know Lawyers nursery gets their seed from a variety of
sources and does not segregate populations from one another. Rootstock from
them would be a random mix. It might add a great deal to the experiment to
pay special attention to different strains, sources, etc.

On a related topic, I suggest you read the article, Plums on the Prairie by
Rick Sawatzky. I thought it was quite good.

What a fun topic,

John Bunker

Fedco
PO Box 520