nafex - [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock

  • From: Jim F <bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] P. americana rootstock
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:50:23 -0800 (PST)

     It is interesting to read about all of the different experiences of using P. americana rootstock.  I can't help but wonder if there is genetic variation at play or if differences are due to environmental stimuli.  The P. americana I used came from here in Northern Minnesota and I wonder if it grows slower than that which grows in warmer climates.  Anyway, the scionwood that I used in my grafts all came from zone 5 whereas I am in zone 3.  Is it possible that this would explain why all of my grafts grow faster than their rootstock.  The difference in faster growth ranges from bearly measurable to those graft joints that resemble a wineglass.  In my worst case, the top is too heavy for the rootstock and I keep it upright with posts and slings.  Another possible genetic variation is seen in my orchard:  Some of the rootstocks send up many suckers while others haven't suckered at all.

Jim Fruth

Do you Yahoo!?