nafex - [NAFEX] Beaver recipe

  • From: "Ward Barnes" <ward_p_barnes@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Beaver recipe
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:32:59 +0000

 >We have a dreadful problem with beavers here in suburban N. VA. - Took out >some prized chestnut trees in one night - we now have to fence everything we >plant - looks bad and costs. We shoot the critters (got 3 two weeks ago) >and sometimes are able to trap them. > We hate killing anything we don't use, so a recipe would be welcome. > Peter, zone 7 N. VA Chantilly >

Peter:

The following recipe is from the Alaska Outdoor Journal:

Roast Beaver Recipe

You'll be surprised at how tasty beaver really is.  Barbequed Beaver Tail is a popular favorite among old-timers.  Speaking of old, here is a recipe that is ideal for those larger, older beavers who may not be as tender as the youn'uns.

1 beaver, skinned and cleaned

1/2 cup vinegar

1 TBS salt

2 tsp baking soda

1 Med sliced onion

4 strips bacon or salt pork

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1.  Wash beaver thoroughly with saltwater.  2.  Soak it overnight in water to cover plus the vinegar and 1 Tbs. salt.  Next day, drain the meat, wash again and cover with 2 quarts fresh water plus the soda.  3.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  4.  Drain again, pat dry and place beaver in roasting pan.  Salt & pepper the meat.  5.  Cover with sliced onions and bacon or salt pork.  6.  Place lid on roaster pan and bake at 375 degrees until tender.  7.  Serve with a tart jelly.

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.

  • [NAFEX] Beaver recipe, Ward Barnes, 02/06/2004