nafex - Re: [NAFEX] groundhog - beaver recipes

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] groundhog - beaver recipes
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:22:23 -0600

On Feb 5, 2004, at 11:01 PM, Peter Knop wrote:

We have a dreadful problem with beavers here in suburban N. VA...we now have to fence everything we
plant - looks bad and costs...
...We hate killing anything we don't use, so a recipe would be welcome.

We have a similar problem with deer - real pests here in SE Texas where they roam by the hundreds. We have to fence every fruit tree individually. This doesn't look that good, is costly, and takes a lot of time and energy.

The females move through all year, eating off the branches and leaves until there is nothing left but the vertical trunk. Then, during rutting season, the males come through and scrape all of the bark off the entire circumference of the trunk with their antlers, gouging the underlying wood, and break off any remaining limbs, thus killing the tree.

The joke is on the deer however, because the gophers often kill the trees by eating the roots before the deer can get to them. I'm about ready to just set piles of money on fire rather than continue to buy fruit trees to feed the vermin. It accomplishes about the same thing.

There are however, many recipes for venison.

Randall Spalinger