nafex - [NAFEX] Cooking Beaver Tails

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cooking Beaver Tails
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:50:14 -0500

Never tried the whole beaver but in Cold Weather Warfare Survival Training,
we ate the tails. Trick is to toast the hide off over an open flame 'cause
you can't skin a beaver tail. Best to soak them in salt water for several
hours before marinating and frying or roasting. Pretty good but we were
very hungry. I've eaten muskrat which is considered a delicacy in some
locales and I would suspect beaver cooking would be similiar. With all
animals, it is a good idea to remove any scent glands, especially muskrats
and older animals.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Cooking Beaver Tails, longdistshtr, 02/06/2004