nafex - [NAFEX] Scion storage in freezer?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scion storage in freezer?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:51:41 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I seem to recall that Hilltop nursery used to describe in at least one of
their catalogs back in the '80's that they stored scionwood by freezing it in
solid blocks of ice until the rootstocks were ready. It is not mentioned in
the old catalog that I saved, so I may have some important detail wrong. If
this worked, it seems like it would be ideal for keeping wood completely
dormant until the stocks were in prime condition- perhaps especially good for
stone fruit grafting.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of storage?

Anton