nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Grafting-Where did I go wrong?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Grafting-Where did I go wrong?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:36:01 -0600

At 11:55 AM 1/25/2004 -0500, Doc L. wrote:
Practically anyone who work in a medical laboratory can slip you a sample of
Parafilm. We used to buy it by the gross. It shouldn't be as expensive as
it is sold for by nursery suppliers. It's "wunerful" for grafting, budding,
etc. but some of the best grafters I know use masking tape.

The guys who taught me nut tree grafting used Parafilm. As Doc indicated, it is pretty inexpensive - I think you can purchase a 2 inch X 250 foot roll for under $20; That'll do THOUSANDS of grafts.
I especially like it for doing 3- and 4-flap grafts - It works nicely to hold those 'banana' flaps in place until I can get a rubber wrapped around everything, and I can get better alignment, because I don't have to apply much pressure to get it in place..

I see that they've developed a newer formulation for use specifically in grafting:http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/parafilm-grafting.shtml , but I'll probably just keep on using good old Parafilm-M.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY