nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pseudomonas resistant apricot? (was St. Julian ...)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pseudomonas resistant apricot? (was St. Julian ...)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:27:26 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] pseudomonas resistant apricot? (was St. Julian ...)
The biggest problem with apricots in the NW is that they bloom so early that it takes a rare spell of warm dry weather during bloom to get anything.  Sometimes you can save them if you spray heavily to kill the pseudomonas, but the early blooming still causes other problems.  What is needed is either an apricot with very high resistance to Pseudomonas, or one that blooms much later than average.  There ARE late blooming forms of apricot, but none of the commercially available.  I have been growing seedlings of Mormon Chinese which is an old heirloom vareity.  Some of them bloom nearly a month later than normal 'cots and I do get a crop now and then from them.
-Lon Rombough
So from various posts, it sounds like the rootstock isn't necessarily my
problem (originally I was looking for info on rootstock to replace citation,
since all my apricots have succumbed to pseudomonas, and/or a more apricot-
like plum or pluot, which don't seem to succumb).  I was attributing the
pseudomonas to the poor drainage I have here.  But it sounds like it's the
fruit variety that makes most of the difference as to resistance to
pseudomonas.

So let me rephrase the question.  Does anyone know of pseudomonas-resistant
apricots?