nafex - [NAFEX] Hardiness Terms?

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardiness Terms?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:07:12 -0500

Well, the original question was in regards to grapes. I have to ask, was the
catalog from "Concord Nurseries?" As I remember the original catalog from
the original grape nursery that was later bought by Concord, used that
terminology, but somewhere *I think* they used to define what the terms
meant. But maybe the company is still printing the terms without providing
the definition. I would contact the company and see what they mean by those
terms.

I haven't been following grapes closely lately, but I believe that generally
vinifera grapes are defined as "tender" and aren't usually raised above zone
6 (USDA). The actually can tolerate lows almost as low as Concord when fully
dormant, but leave dormancy so easily they are often killed in the warm/cold
cycles.

There are also at least two other considerations with grapes besides
"absolute" dormancy and ability to tolerate fluctuating temperatures. One,
some grapes are wood hardy, but bud tender. That means that the stems of the
grapes can tolerate the temperatures, but the buds can be kill and secondary
or tertiary buds have to grow to save the plant (usually with no crop for
that year.

And 2nd, You have to be very concerned whether the grape will ripen in your
climate. For example, I knew that a number of years ago "Villiard Noir" was
grown for wineries in Maryland, and I tried a few plants. Its perfectly
hardy in my area, makes beautiful grapes. But they never ripen in my climate.

Good luck!!

<<Hello All,

In regards to grapes, what do these terms mean in hardiness temperature
degree ranges;

moderately hardy
hardy
very hardy

These terms may be used rather loosely in catalogs, but there must be a
rather standard definition.

--
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6