nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardiness Terms?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardiness Terms?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:52:08 -0500

Hi,

I would prefer a specific temperature be given for hardiness, for although not absolute, it would be lot less vague.  However, that is just wishful thinking.

How does a large catalog grower, that has a very wide market (even national), use terms that have "local" connotations to indicate hardiness?.

Maybe the USDA defines these terms somewhere???

Tom

Dean Kreutzer wrote:

>In regards to grapes, what do these terms mean in hardiness temperature
>degree ranges;
>
>      moderately hardy
>      hardy
>      very hardy
>
>These terms may be used rather loosely in catalogs, but there must be a
>rather standard definition.

I think any catlalog that used these terms to describe hardiness either did
not do enough fact finding or just didn't care enough to print them.  The
meaning of these terms are highly dependant on where a person is located;
where I live I would say that -40F is very hardy, on the east coast it might
be -30F, down south it might be -20F or -10F, etc.  This is like asking a
person how tall they are and getting replies like "Tall/Average/Short".

Where I live, we are pretty much guaranteed -35F every year, yet we have
plants like Bartlett pears, and Himrod/Flame Seedless grapes in our retail
chain stores with the word "hardy" in their descriptions.  I find this very
unprofessional and misleading, especially to the general consumer who may
not be the wiser.

I would think that most fruiting plants should have at least a USDA or
Canada hardiness zone rating that can be applied.

Dean
USDA zone 3