nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 12, Issue 12

  • From: Ken Schramm <schramk@mail.resa.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 12, Issue 12
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:27:41 -0500

Mark Lee posted on cherry varieties mentioned by David Johnson. The #2
cherry sounds a lot like some of the Hungarian varieties that Amy
Iezzoni from the MSU research station has released (Balaton, et al). If
you come up with anything, or if David is still in the hobby, I'd like
to do some work with #2. I am in Zone 5 in southeastern Michigan, and
have had moderate success with Meteor and North Star, but would love to
give that variety a go. I'll pay for scions and shipping.

BTW, Michiganders would do well to write to their state Reps and
Senators to remind them of the importance and value of the the MSU Ag
Extension programs, especially fruit research. Without them, we'd be in
a bad way for new varieties, and be bereft of the excellent info they
provide on pest management. The budget's tight, but that would be
cutting off our nose to spite our face. I'd hate to be a big commercial
producer and have that info cut off.

Ken Schramm
Troy, MI
5b/6a