nafex - [NAFEX] grafting small field stock

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting small field stock
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:05:59 +0000

Sorry to give you a fifth option but I think it is the best of those you listed. I often do this graft on tress that are bigger than the scions and not conducive to even one- sided whip and tongue grafts but too small to cleft or bark graft. Its a modification of the whip and tongue, very simple and leaves a good strong union, stronger than a bark graft. I don't know what you call it and I have not seen any pictures of it.
Cut the field stock off clean at the height you want the graft. Then cut the scion as for a whip and tongue graft. On the stub on the field stock make a cut that matches the scionwood but that, hmm, how do I explain this, that is a only a little bit longer than half the length of the whip cut you made on the scion. (You don't cut all the way through the stock like another scion, the top of the stub looks almost round but with one flat side like the inside of a keyed knob) Notch it with a tongue just a little ways down from the top of the stub, and then join the two together, wrap it with rubber strips.
I have done dozens of these grafts alongside cleft grafts, one-sided whip and tongue grafts, and bark grafts and these give more takes and more strength. I don't know if I've explained it very well but does anyone know what this graft is called?

Kevin Bradley

Find out everything you need to know about Las Vegas here for that getaway. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/vivalasvegas.armx