nafex - Re: [NAFEX] canning

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] canning
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:48:38 -0500

On Monday, January 5, 2004, at 11:43 AM, HDessureault wrote:

Back to my personal experience with this quick sealing method, it works very
well if you keep your jars under close supervision.
I was under a very tight schedule last Fall to make a lot of tomato sauce
before going on a trip and I used this method to process the large quantity
of jars and because I feel confident about my skills at canning. About a
month later when I came back, I had to move a couple of jars to the fridge,
whose lids were starting to slightly push up, which does not mean that it
did not still tasted fine, since it does not take very much to create
pressure in the jar. Tomato sauce is acidic and very safe and some jars
keeping only a month instead of a year is fine by me.

Not all varieties of tomatoes are equally acidic; some may not be acidic enough for this to be a safe technique. And you can't taste or smell botulism toxin.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly