nafex - RE: [NAFEX] steam juicer / canning

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] steam juicer / canning
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:30:37 -0600

Del wrote:
> My wife has had a Finnish steam juicer for 20+ years but quit using
the
> method you describe because it never got 100% seal for her - lids
could be
> much more easily pried off than if it were hot processed. Even
though all
> the lids looked like they sealed (center down) to double check the
process -
> all came off very easily with a little thumb pressure - which made
her
> question the integrity of the seal. Any comments?

We've been using the method described (juice directly from juicer to
hot jars and capped with hot new lids) to can fruit juices for years (20+
years) and haven't ever had one spoil or leak, except one or two that didn't
seal reiight away, due to overlooked defects in the jar rims. We have
friends that do hundreds of bottles of juice each year, using Grolsch beer
bottles--the ones with the red rubber seals and white caps on a wire bail. I
do make sure the jars are HOT--filled with water from a simmering tea kettle
which is emptied just before running the juice into the jar.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI