nafex - Re: [NAFEX] canning

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] canning
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:46:36 -0500

HDessureault wrote:

<snip>
Nevertheless, for fruit juice, the following is usually suitable: «When a sterile hot jar is filled with boiling hot juice and a sterile lid is placed on it immediately,
<snip>

Hi,

I think the requirement is not "boiling hot juice".  You have to raise the temperature to a specified range, and hold it there for a specified period of time.

Pasteurize apple juice using a double-boiler. Heat the juice to about 80º C (176º F), stirring frequently. Keep it at 80ºC for at least 2 minutes. This will make sure that all E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria, as well as other organisms (moulds,etc.) are destroyed.

Raise the temperature too high and you damage flavor.

Different juices vary in temperature and time I believe.

Later,
Tom