nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apples and heat

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apples and heat
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:43:49 -0800

Lisa Almarode wrote:

I grew up eating store bought apples (still have to)
and I like medium sour apples. But I like most fruit underripe and firm - I sort through and pick out the firmest, hardest nectarines at the store (I sniff them to see if they are ripe enough to eat)

Incidentally, my favorite apple is Swiss Gourmet.
I put one in last year, but it will be awhile.

My question: Someone said the Cox types don't do well
in heat. We have very hot summers (often over 100°),
but very dry, no humidity at all. Are Cox a bad idea
here? Is heat a problem for other apples or other fruits? I always thought it was good (sure is good
for tomatoes...)

Cox should do well for you.
I am on th coast and it is a little too cool here but it survives.
Ashland seems like good apple country to me, when ever I have been there.
Look at the pear orchards all around you.
You should be above the fog at 1800 feet too.
I would try it if I were you.
We like sharp and sour apples, which is most of what we grow here.
We like the new Mac crosses.
Sam