nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter apple still ripening on tree?

  • From: Rondi <dee@mokalive.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter apple still ripening on tree?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:15:47 -0600

I think this is interesting because apples we find in the grocery stories
are seldom tart outside of the Granny Smiths. They are almost always sweet
and occassionally also bitter which is what the Red Delicious tastes like to
me. Oh, and if they've been sitting too long they are tasteless, sandy and
tough skinned.

I love pie apples such as the Haralsons. I figure it's because when I was a
kid my mom did once a month grocery/fruit shopping and I wouldn't touch
those apples after the first week because they would get so grainy sandy
disgusting in your mouth let alone when they'd been setting for a month. I'd
rather eat an ornamental flowering crapapple fruit which I did often as a
kid!

Then I discovered this big beautiful tree in the niehgborhood that no one
minded I pick from and will probably never know the name of and it was
covered with lucious green apples that I eat and eat and eat and eat from
and never got sick once got sick from or of. It led on to my wild berry
grazing and eating choke cherries until my teeth turned brown adventures. I
haven't been the same since. It's probably why I'm here.

Real fruit, it does a body good.

Rondi