nafex - RE: [NAFEX] More apple questions.

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] More apple questions.
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:34:10 -0500

Orville----------your wrote---------
    In reference to Suncrisp most representing a "true" Cox Orange Pippin taste, do you think Rubinette (another Golden Delicious X Cox Orange Pippin cross) would also be in that category? I have had one opportunity to have a Cox Orange Pippin in one hand and a Rubinette in the other, and to me the Rubinette was very close. Maybe just a little sweeter and a little less tart. An Excellent apple to eat.
[Ed Fackler]  Yes, Rubinette is a great apple.  However as you mentioned the typical acidic influence of Cox is overriden by its sugar and (more) juice influence.  Personally I'd rather have a Rubinette than a Cox Orange apple allowing of course that Cox Orange doesn't do that well anywhere in the US.

   I have one more question, have you grown Corail (also called Pinova and Sonata)((Duchess of Oldenburg X Cox Orange Pippin) X Golden Delicious cross). I had it set fruit for the first time this year and I really enjoyed the taste. Had a good sugar-acid balance and aromatics with the Cox Orange Pippin flavor in the background.
[Ed Fackler]  Yes, Corail, aka Pinova is an excellent flavored apple, although a tad weak for me---with a stupid name(s).

Hope this helps.

Ed