nafex - [NAFEX] More apple questions.

  • From: "Orville Courtney" <agatemn@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] More apple questions.
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:10:02 -0600

Mr. Fackler you had sent:

Orville:

     My best guess is that both your trees and trees from the local orchard are mislabeled or they are NOT true Suncrisp.  I've grown them for years (formerly called NJ-55) and have eaten them from other orchards and they most represent a true Cox taste of any of its sibs (possibly a slight bit sweeter).  And I've grown Cox Orange for years as well as possibly 20 or more of its more famous sibs including Kidd's Orange which can be quite good under decent conditions when near maturity.

Ed, doing okay in central Ohio

    In reference to Suncrisp most representing a "true" Cox Orange Pippin taste, do you think Rubinette (another Golden Delicious X Cox Orange Pippin cross) would also be in that category? I have had one opportunity to have a Cox Orange Pippin in one hand and a Rubinette in the other, and to me the Rubinette was very close. Maybe just a little sweeter and a little less tart. An Excellent apple to eat.

   I guess I need to try a Suncrisp from one of the east coast nurseries. Maybe they have a different scion source on that side of the country.

   I have one more question, have you grown Corail (also called Pinova and Sonata)((Duchess of Oldenburg X Cox Orange Pippin) X Golden Delicious cross). I had it set fruit for the first time this year and I really enjoyed the taste. Had a good sugar-acid balance and aromatics with the Cox Orange Pippin flavor in the background.

   Thanks again for putting up with my questions!

Orville Courtney
Topeka, KS
Zone 5B