nafex - [NAFEX] advice

  • From: Robert Hartley <bob@sprucemt.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] advice
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:37:25 -0500

I received the following from my son who lives in zone 7.

"Dad,

While I know that judging apples is a subjective business and it is impossible to get more than a few people to agree on any given apple, I wondered what you or your associates on the apple list think of the following varieties:

Arkansas Black
Ashmead's Kernel
Belle de Boskoop
Braeburn
D'Arcy Spice
Gravenstein
Pink Pearl
Sierra Beauty

I understand that Arkansas Black, Belle de Boskoop and Gravenstein produce sterile pollen and will need pollinators. Also, Gravenstein and Pink Pearl flower early and Arkansas Black flowers late so they probably will not be a good mix. If you had to choose three from this list considering the pollination needs as well as the apples overall, what would they be? What substitutions might you make? If you could choose ANY three apples to grow together, assuming you liked tart apples, what might they be?

My plan was to try growing them as espaliers, probably two but possibly three tiers and spreading 12 feet or less. How dwarf will I want them (111, 106 or B9)? Any considerations with the above apples?

Finally, do you know anything about "Trees of Antiquity" (http://www.treesofantiquity.com/)? Any nurseries you particularly recommend?

--
Henry"

Any help would be appreciated.