nafex - Re: [NAFEX] advice

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] advice
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:00:41 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] advice
I'll contribute on two of the apples.  Gravenstein is an old favorite here in Oregon, but I would never recommend it for an espalier.  Even on the dwarfest rootstocks it is a vigorous tree that would drive you nuts.  For some years it was common to get "three way" apple trees in the area that always had Gravenstein in them, and without fail, the Gravenstein overwhelmed the rest of the trees in the mix.  In season, and tree ripened, it's a wonderfully aromatic apple that makes the best pies and cobblers you can find, though.
   Pink Pearl is almost more of a novelty than anything.  With the pink/red flesh (depending on the year) it is pretty, and the tart flesh makes good pink applesauce, but the darn thing is very susceptible to scab and there are lots of other apples that are better strictly from the point of being good to use.
   I've never bought from Trees of Antiquity, though they have bought grape cuttings from me and have always been fair in their dealings.  How their fruit tree stock is, I don't know.
-Lon Rombough

I received the following from my son who lives in zone 7.

"Dad,

While I know that judging apples is a subjective business and it is
impossible to get more than a few people to agree on any given apple, I
wondered what you or your associates on the apple list think of the
following varieties:

Arkansas Black
Ashmead's Kernel
Belle de Boskoop
Braeburn
D'Arcy Spice
Gravenstein
Pink Pearl
Sierra Beauty

I understand that Arkansas Black, Belle de Boskoop and Gravenstein
produce sterile pollen and will need pollinators.  Also, Gravenstein and
Pink Pearl flower early and Arkansas Black flowers late so they probably
will not be a good mix.  If you had to choose three from this list
considering the pollination needs as well as the apples overall, what
would they be?  What substitutions might you make?  If you could choose
ANY three apples to grow together, assuming you liked tart apples, what
might they be?

My plan was to try growing them as espaliers, probably two but possibly
three tiers and spreading 12 feet or less.  How dwarf will I want them
(111, 106 or B9)?  Any considerations with the above apples?

Finally, do you know anything about "Trees of Antiquity"
(http://www.treesofantiquity.com/)?  Any nurseries you particularly
recommend?

--
Henry"