nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Definition of Sprightly

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Definition of Sprightly
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 8:54:31 -0600

Dear Dr. Strangekiss,

When my 1927 NEW CENTURY DICTIONARY first came out, a few of the
invaders from the planet Sprite were still walking this earth, putting the
finishing touches on their mission of setting up the automatic mechanisms
for the making of future crop circles and planting fossils in the rocks to
support the evolution hoax. Herein, the word sprite (later spirit) is
traced back to the Middle English. Its usage conveyed a measure of gay
mischief along with the liveliness, and was commonly applied to elves,
fairies, goblins, trolls, etc. Of course, all of these are really just a
list of aliases for what were in actuality the aliens, who, at the time,
were generally a more accepted segment of society, but a larger and more
diverse group which needed to be divided into sub-groups for the purpose of
discussion and for the writing of lore.
So if I might be allowed to presume to add to your already brilliant
definition, the sourball girl, upon receiving and breaking the kiss, could
be expected to turn and trip lightly away, looking back over her shoulder
and laughing fetchingly.
I made a Pyrus ussuriensis hard cider this fall which I have been
describing as sprightly, but wrongly so, I am afraid. It is all sourball
and no kiss; there is only mocking laughter, and the prize is not worthy of
pursuit.
Has anybody done any better with P.u. cider? (P.u. - a more apt
description than sprightly)

Dave
Outer limits of zone 4