nafex - [NAFEX] P.ussuriensis cider

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] P.ussuriensis cider
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:27:35 -0500

A 08:54 03.12.03 -0600, vous avez écrit :
> I made a Pyrus ussuriensis hard cider this fall which I have been
>describing as sprightly, but wrongly so, I am afraid. It is all sourball
>and no kiss; there is only mocking laughter, and the prize is not worthy of
>pursuit.
> Has anybody done any better with P.u. cider? (P.u. - a more apt
>description than sprightly)
>
>Dave
>Outer limits of zone 4

Dave,
I have used Golden Spice to make a good perry (pear cider) - it was mixed
with some juice from Patten. The perry is quite good, without any excessive
acidity (no more than a good dry apple cider).
The parentage of Golden Spice is not known for sure, but it surely contains
a good proportion of P.ussuriensis. It is however much more palatable that
the only pure P.ussuriensis specimen I have had the opportunity to taste.
Claude Jolicoeur
Quebec