nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pistachio

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pistachio
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:43:28 -0600

I bought a half-dozen P.vera seedlings(my wife loves pistachios) from Ken Asmus at OIKOS, 7 years or so ago - It's been long enough ago that my memory is getting fuzzy, but I think Ken tried to dissuade me, but I thought I'd try 'em anyway.
All failed miserably - don't think I had but one that survived the entirety of the first growing season.
Somewhere along the line, I spoke with or emailed Dr. Louise Ferguson at the UC Davis Fruit & Nut Research Center, and she pretty well echoed Lon's comments about their cultural needs - and recommended I concentrate on pecans & persimmons, as I was more likely to have success with them than with pistachios.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY