nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulching Blueberries with Newspaper

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulching Blueberries with Newspaper
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:57:14 -0400

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 02:41 PM, Gregory Miller wrote:

Ginda:

I have used the newspaper plus mulch method, and it works great.

HOWEVER,

I would not do it in the fall as it creates prime lodging conditions for various rodents. I had that problem using clumps of strawbales (that held together after getting wet) and had the problem of the rodent tunnels around some blackberries. I think it would be even worse with newspaper. I would suggest the spring, just as the grass is starting to sprout. It is easy to place that time of year, the mulch you put on will stay wet, and there is less time for the rodents to get established before summer comes.

Thanks. Not sure what to do, as fall is when I have mulch - aka leaves that need to be removed from the lawn. It just seems so inefficient to haul them away in the fall and buy lots of mulch in the spring. . .

Ginda