nafex - [NAFEX] Midwest Apple Improvement Ass'n Annual Meeting, Wed. Nov. 12, 2003

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
  • Cc: "NAFEX Greetings:" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Midwest Apple Improvement Ass'n Annual Meeting, Wed. Nov. 12, 2003
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:13:54 -0400

MAIA Annual Meeting

Date: Wed., Nov. 12, 2003

Time:  8 am-4:30 pm

Place: Purdue Horticulture Research Farm, 555 N Sharon Chapel Road,

West Lafayette, Indiana

Program

     1.  Susan Brown of Cornell University is the featured speaker. She will

discuss new techniques in molecular biology used to speed genetic

improvement and the goals of the apple breeding program at Cornell.

     2.  Diane Miller of OSU and Mitch Lynd, Ohio Apple Grower will  give an

update on the Kazah Apples at Dawes Arboretum and future planting plans.

     3.  Jules Janick will describe Crimson Crisp (Coop 39), a prerelease from the PRI

program.

4.  Open forum for members to discuss new progeny coming into production.

     Bring any new fruit that you have for evaluation.

THANKS for your interest in the FUTURE OF Midwest Apple Production!

Directions

From I-65, take SR 26 through Lafayette, and W. Lafayette to Sharon

Chapel Rd. (some 3 miles west of town). Turn left on Sharon Chapel. The

Research Farm is immediately on the right.

We have been offered discount rates at the Hampton Inn ($69/night) and

Homewood Suites ($89/night). To take advantage of these rates you must

make your reservations at least one month ahead. Be sure to mention that

you are attending the MAIA meeting at Purdue and that you want the

Purdue rate.

Hampton Inn

3941 St Rd 26 E

765-449-9963

www.hampton-inn.com

Homewood Suites

3939 St Rd 26 E

765-448-9700

www.homewood-suites.com

There are several hotels near the exit on 26

Red Roof Inn

4201 State Road 26 E

765-448-4671

Ramada Inn

4221 SR 26 E

(317) 447-9460

Signature Inn

4320 SR 26 E

(317) 447-4142

More hotel information

We will meet for dinner and the annual Board Meeting on November 11 at

the Great Wall at 6 pm (turn right from 26 onto 52. (Please let us know

if you will be attending 765-494-1329 or awhipkey@purdue.edu). If you

are on the board plan to arrive Tuesday, the board meeting will follow

dinner.

Indiana time: Starting in November, Indiana will be on the same time as

New York.

  • [NAFEX] Midwest Apple Improvement Ass'n Annual Meeting, Wed. Nov. 12, 2003, Ed Fackler, 10/21/2003