nafex - [NAFEX] seabuckthorn mystery

  • From: "Mark Garrison" <pawpaw1@cox.net>
  • To: "Nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] seabuckthorn mystery
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:02:13 -0400

When I went to pick some seabuckthorn berries this fall, they had disappeared.  There had been a good crop but only a dozen or so berries remained.  Since birds are not supposed to eat them, and even the most demented two-legged scrounger would not pick clean due to the thorns, what happened?  Squirrels, maybe--but they didn't touch them last year.  Or maybe our RI birds are so naive they didn't know they're not supposed to like them.  Same thing with aronia--heavy crop, disappeared down to the last berry.

Mark Garrison, RI zone 5

  • [NAFEX] seabuckthorn mystery, Mark Garrison, 10/12/2003