nafex - Re: [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:01:01 -0600

Getting an import permit in Canada requires the completion of an application spelling out exactly what you are importing, payment of a administration fee, waiting up to 2 months for approval, and finally requires that the exporter produce a phyto-sanitary certificate to help ensure that the plant material being sent does carry any known viruses.

We can import certain plants such as Kiwi without a permit, because Kiwi is not found naturally in the wild. But, try getting any Prunus here, and you are in for a difficult time.

Honestly, I think using the border is just the convenient location to place such a preventative measure. You also see borders used as such within the U.S. and in Canada, where you can't ship certain items to California, Oregon and British Columbia.

I've have said that the bugs or viruses don't recognize borders. In my opinion, I think it goes a little too far in some cases, BUT I would certainly feel horrible if I spread Plum Pox Virus, for example. When exchanging plant material, even with your next door neighbor, you take your chances that everything is healthy. It's a difficult decision to make.

Dean
Regina, Sask Canada
USDA zone 2/3

  • Re: [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls, Dean Kreutzer, 10/12/2003