nafex - [NAFEX] Figs for Zone 6--'Hardy Chicago'

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Figs for Zone 6--'Hardy Chicago'
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:42:36 -0400

Was written:
Anyone in zone 6 with figs out of doors? If so, named varieties?
Peter Knop zone 7 northern VA

Peter,
We've fruited Hardy Chicago here in Zone 6 east Tenn, 1800', each year for
about the last 10. Planted in our warmest microclimate. Fruit begins
ripening late August to early Sept and continues to hard frost. Oiling the
fruit brings them in earlier.

Make sure you choose a fig which sets and ripens fruit on one year old wood;
then it can freeze to ground and still fruit each year.

Richard Moyer

  • [NAFEX] Figs for Zone 6--'Hardy Chicago', Moyer, Richard, 10/12/2003