nafex - [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls:- a short rant

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls:- a short rant
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:47:00 -0400 (EDT)

So, do you cunning Canadians really have something evil up there that we
don't have down here, 60 miles from the border? It seems to me that just
about every fruit-destroying bug that will survive the cold is already in
residence. For instance, I would feel better about the Asian ladybugs
getting up my nose if the Colorado Potato Beetle population went down when
they went up. For the last two years we have had boom populations of both;
seems to me those little coloured Asians are not doing their job and I have
a lack of potatoes to prove it!

And, what about the asymmetry here, that Canadians can import freely and we
cannot? Don't you guys know who the evangelists of free trade are? Maybe
the USDA knows that the Canadian-trained bugs will be polite enough to stop
at the border, whereas the US-trained ones will not.

Okay, so after that little rant I feel better. I have asked this question
before but did not get any answers (and I don't suppose the rant above will
help, but who knows). Does anyone have actual experience of getting
clearance to import say scion-wood (or bare-root whips for that matter)
from Canada to the US? Legally I mean. Is the cost and bureaucratic burden
such that it is simply impossible to do it on a small scale? Where would I
have to start?

Richard Melrose

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:54:01 -0600
> From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Early Gold Pear Availability
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> >I had not heard of `Early Gold'; it sounds interesting. Ure has done
> >reasonably well here in Vermont on the USDA 4a/3b border although I have
> >some problems with what may be chlorosis (for instance leaves colouring and
> >dropping early). Does anyone know whether EG it is available from someone
> >on
> >this side of the border (or from someone in Canada who will export it)?
>
> There are nurseries in Saskatchewan and Manitoba that carry the Early Gold
> pear. However, I believe it isn't available in the U.S. as of yet. I
> wouldn't be able to have any budwood available next spring to due the
> grasshoppers and drought, but possibly next August in time for budding.
> Pyrus can be imported into Canada from the U.S. with an import permit, but
> am unsure of the restrictions the other way around.
>
> Dean Kreutzer
> Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
> USDA zone 2/3
>
>____

  • [NAFEX] About these US-Canadian import-export controls:- a short rant, rmelrose, 10/11/2003