nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15 LSU Gold

  • From: "Pete" <kc5gxc@neandertech.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15 LSU Gold
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:42:39 -0500

Hi Topgun and Group
I have LSU Gold here in SE LA zone 8b, and it is probably my best fig. My
tree is about 3 years old , and I am picking figs today off of it...the
second crop. They are very large and very sweet. I have been picking figs
all summer from it. I think they started ripening quite a bit later than
Celsete.
Texas Everbearing is another still bearing tree with large red figs.
Italian Honey is good, but not as good as the Gold and is finished bearing
here.
Another good fig I have is Green Ischia...still bearing...but the figs will
open up and bloom on you if you don't watch 'em.. ....the later figs, that
is.
LSU Purple is not doing as well, the figs stay hard forever. I cook 'em all
down , however, and have a pot cooking now. Eat 'em for breakfast and freeze
them, can them, and dehy them for snacks, which are very good.
Good Luck
Pete z 8b

I have several years experience with LSU gold and sometimes I like it and
sometimes not. The first year I grew it the skin was so soft that it tore
during the normal picking process and they turned an awful gray shortly
after picking. It is very vigorous for me and this past winter while 23
types froze to the ground, the LSU Gold and the Greek did not die all the
way back. The Gold came back from a 3 ft. level and the Greek was hardly
touched.
Production was much less on the gold and the Greek this year than last. They
are in their 4th growing season. The new growth on the gold is at 12 feet
now at the tallest and several others close to that. Gold usually bears
heavily and the figs are large so you can fill a container fairly rapidly.
(It gives a lot of fruit before the drunkard beetle comes to sour it, and a
good bit after the beetles are gone.LA experience )Leaves are quite healthy
even now.. Gold was near the west wall but so were 6 others that went to
ground including the golden celeste as it was given to me. Not certain of
its I.D.
I would like to hear of other opinions on the LSU gold.
Topgun
Zone 7

  • [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 15 LSU Gold, Pete, 10/11/2003