nafex - [NAFEX] Early Gold Pear Availability

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Early Gold Pear Availability
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:54:01 -0600

I had not heard of `Early Gold'; it sounds interesting. Ure has done
reasonably well here in Vermont on the USDA 4a/3b border although I have
some problems with what may be chlorosis (for instance leaves colouring and
dropping early). Does anyone know whether EG it is available from someone on
this side of the border (or from someone in Canada who will export it)?

There are nurseries in Saskatchewan and Manitoba that carry the Early Gold pear. However, I believe it isn't available in the U.S. as of yet. I wouldn't be able to have any budwood available next spring to due the grasshoppers and drought, but possibly next August in time for budding. Pyrus can be imported into Canada from the U.S. with an import permit, but I am unsure of the restrictions the other way around.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 2/3

  • [NAFEX] Early Gold Pear Availability, Dean Kreutzer, 10/10/2003