nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for good eating/canning pear for zone 4a

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for good eating/canning pear for zone 4a
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:48:25 -0400

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for good eating/canning pear for zone 4a
on 10/8/03 11:58 PM, Nathan Torgerson at nathantorgerson@yahoo.com wrote:

I have recently planted Luscious and Patten pear trees, but I am looking for a third variety to plant since Luscious is pollen sterile.  Are there any suggestions for a good eating and especially canning pear for zone 3b/4a?  I was originally looking at a Seckel, but I I've been reading conflicting reports on its hardiness.  Has anyone sucessfully grown them in zone 3b or 4a?
Lately I've been leaning toward planting a Southworth or Nova...does anyone have any experience with them or potentially another kind that may have overlooked?

Thanks,
Nathan Torgerson
Andover, MN
Zone 4a

Nathan,

 Although we had -30 in Palermo (Maine) last winter and still got a full crop of Seckels this year, from our experience Seckel is hardy in zone 4 but not hardy in zone 3.

Regards,

John Bunker
Fedco Trees
Palermo Maine