nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Liberty

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Liberty
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:58:12 -0400

Fluff---you wrote........

Gang:

Question on Liberty apple…

I have run across incongruent sources in terms of the ripening time of
Liberty apple, its storage length in general, and its storage time for
optimal flavor development.

I am located in the suburbs of Chicago about ½ way between Chicago and DeKalb
and I am curious as to Liberty’s ripening date out here. A couple hit the
ground already but that could be premature. They seemed to have a little
starch left and I am not so sure the squirrels did not bring them down.

Source I have read state the apple stores 3-6 months, but one Liberty apple
expert gives it 4-6 weeks. All sources seem to agree it needs a bit of time
off the tree to develop full flavor but neglect to mention how long that
mellowing time should be.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

My response----------

Best estimate on proper maturity dates for Liberty in your area is Sept.
28-Oct. 3 or 10-14 days prior to Delicious. And since your season during the
last 20-30 days prior to maturity is much cooler than ours, flesh density
remains a bit better and therefore storage length of time would be extended
somewhat.

My best guess is it would still be no more than 6-8 weeks. Also storage
temperature is critical. In a home refrigerator, the likely maximum low
would be around 36-38 degrees which is some 6-7 degrees shy of optimal for
any long term storage. Also storing them in plastic bags will enhance
storage time a bit.

Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Ohio cool, much rain, fall-like