nafex - [NAFEX] Apples for Indiana

  • From: "Scott Williamson" <swilliamson@acespower.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apples for Indiana
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:56:03 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas

In doing more research for Apple varieties that are ‘easy’ to grow in Indiana I found that the Cooperative Extension Service recommends Scab resistant varieties.  Apple Scab apparently being the #1 disease in Indiana (they may have mentioned fireblight for the south).  They listed the following varieties as good candidates.  Can anybody give me input on any of these?  Taste, performance, whether they are suited for Indiana, etc.?  I want to start with some simpler ones to grow, but also want them to be palatable.

Pristine

Dayton

Redfree

Prima