nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Liberty (was Apples for Indiana)

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Liberty (was Apples for Indiana)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:02:22 -0400

I've had Liberty grown in NJ and in Mass. It was similar in both places. It is a "mac-type" apple, with a very good flavor. It won a taste test at the NJ orchard (where it was too warm for Macs to be any good.) If allowed to over-ripen it develops rich and interesting winey flavors, but turns to an unappealing mealy mush. I've often thought it would be good in "fresh cider". (I've heard it also develops "off" flavors if overripe, but perhaps that person has different tastes from mine.) If picked at the proper time it has a good texture and keeps a little better than a McIntosh, which is to say, not very well. Like a Mac, it is better in applesauce than in pie, because it doesn't hold its shape when cooked. I've had terrific applesauce made from the ones that we picked in Mass. and didn't get around to eat until they were soft.

I have read that it is highly scab resistant and easy to grow. Also that the fruit tends to ripen at once, in a fairly narrow window. I considered growing it, but decided that (1) the narrow window might be a problem - what if I was out of town that weekend? and (2) that I can buy it and similar apples locally, so I could better spend my limited sun on something harder to come by.

Ginda Fisher