nafex - [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent Apple

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent Apple
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:15:13 -0400

Stefan:

I have Yellow Transparent growing here, and have seen Lodi growing elsewhere, and couldn't tell the difference between the two. Lodi is supposed to be a bit larger, but there are so many factors that affect apple size that may not be a very good standard for comparison. They are similar enough in quality and use that I don't think it makes a great deal of difference which one you have. From my experience, either of them should be thinned early to improve size.

As for picking, when the first apple on the tree turns slightly yellow, we take them all down, bring them in, and make our applesauce. If left on the tree to turn yellow, they become mealy, split open, and often fall to the ground where they quickly become useless. Sauce quality is much better, and peeling much easier, when this apple is picked and used while green and crisp. If you can't use them right away, they will keep in refrigerator storage for a while, but not much longer than 10 days to 2 weeks before they become soft. I know there are some other good sauce varieties out there, including newer ones like Monark, but the highly perishable Yellow Transparent has been our mainstay for applesauce for over 20 years. Once you get the applesauce in the freezer, it will last as long as any other apple.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent Apple, Don Yellman, 09/19/2003