nafex - [NAFEX] Jujube pollination

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jujube pollination
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

I want to put in a jujube - are they or aren't they
self-fertile? Some sources say you need two, some
say you're okay with one. I may put in a second one
later but I'd rather wait and see how I like the fruit
and how well it does here...it should do fine, we
have long hot summers, but the soil is clay - the
spot I've got is well drained but those sort of
spots are limited and I have to fit in a peach and
fig.

If I do need two, would they do well planted in the
same hole, or 1' apart, and pruned and treated as one
tree? Peaches or cornelian cherry would have air
circulation problems planted like that, is that
right? We have lots of wind so I'm not overly
worried, but the winters are very wet.

Lisa
Ashland Oregon
zone 7 1800' elevation