nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:32:50 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas
Suggest you call Alexander Eppler before you do anything.  I know him and he has had some rough personal experiences the last few years and I'm not certain he is selling the material any more.  He might have turned it over to Lucile Whitman at Whitman Farms in Salem, OR (there is a website) as she was propagating currants and gooseberries for him already.  He learned about C. mas in Bulgaria where he went to study music.  Among other talents, he makes flutes and C. mas has wood equal to tropical hardwood in density, making it good for such wooden musical instruments.  He planted many C. mas trees around the Seattle area.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

Cornucopia II has sources listed at the end of each entry.

Most of the cultivars of Cornus mas that you listed have D47 as a
source. (Some have other sources also.)  Look up D47 in the Suppliers
list near the back of the book:

D47
A.I. Eppler Ltd.
P.O. Box 16513